Common Core Starter Kit - Step 1

So, you're planning ahead and want to understand the Common Core, but don't know where to start. I'll try to break it down in easy to digest steps, but it will require some reading and participation on your part. I know a teacher's time is very limited, so I'll focus on - in my opinion - some of the best information available.

Part A: Download the Standards
I know, I know... sounds pretty obvious, right? However, a lot of misinformation exists and I've met a lot of critics that haven't actually read their grade level standards. This is due to two reasons: [1] teachers don't have time to read and [2] they don't know where to get the information. 

Let's solve that problem now by gathering our ingredients!

Ingredients:
[1] Download and Print the Common Core Introductory Materials and...
[2] ...the Standards for your grade.
[3] Next, visit the online homebase of the Common Core Initiative and download Appendix AB, and C. Do not print yet! Just save each for later.
Keep in mind, I focus on the English Language Arts aspects,
but the Math standards are located further down the page.
Side Note: The ELA (English Language Arts) Standards for K-12 are located in the first document in the circle - the one with the extra long title. It includes the supplemental literacy standards for History/Social Studies, Science, and teachers of "Technical Subjects". I won't dive into that just yet. That deserves it's own separate post. For now, we'll focus on the standards for English Langauge Arts.

Part B - Read the Introductory Materials

If you're working in a group, take 10 minutes to read and highlight pages 3-8, the Introductory Materials. It will answer many questions and clarify a lot of details, including:
  • Who made Common Core & which subjects are affected? (see page 3)
  • How was it developed & how does this affect implementation? (see page 4)
  • How much nonfiction do I have to integrate? (see page 5)
  • What is a "College & Career Ready" student? (see page 7)
  • How do I read the standards? (see page 8)
A lot of understanding can happen in just 6 pages of reading.
Part C - Summarize and Share

Part D - Conclusion
Compose a summary of the Introductory Materials and Post your response in the box below. When you're ready, click the link below and continue to Step 2.

Step 2: Common Core in Action

No comments:

Post a Comment